We realize that we are not only in the house painting business, but we are also in the people business. Without our team of dedicated, trained, and caring employees we are nothing. Its these employees who work with the customers on a daily basis, in and around their homes that really make our company great. Each month we want to take a moment to shine the spotlight on one of our foreman, Antonio Saris.
Antonio has been with Arizona Painting Company for just over 2 years. Over the last 2 years we have gotten to know him very well, we have watched him improve daily in his leadership, customer service skills, and quality of work. We’re lucky to have employees like him. Antonio has such a vast array of knowledge that we know we can put him as the leader on any type of job we are doing and that it will get done up to our standards.
We met up with Antonio last week during one of our routine job house painting job walks and we got to ask him a few questions.
Questions About You:
- Antonio, thanks for taking the time out of your day to let us into your life. How long have you been working as a painter?
I’ve been painting for 35 years.
- Where are you from and what do you do on your free time?
I was born in Lincoln Heights, California which is East LA. I have lived many places from New Jersey, Texas, Florida, Washington, and Arizona. In my free time I like to golf, fish, and spend time with family.
- How long have you lived in Arizona? Do you have any kids?
I have lived in Arizona for a total of 10 years. In the 1970’s I was here for 7 years and then I moved back in 2014 and have been here for 3 years so far. I have a daughter in college and a son who works for Nike corporate.
Questions About Painting:
- Why did you choose to pursue a career in the painting industry?
Painting picked me! When I was younger I worked with my Dad and older brother, they were painters as well and taught me the trade. I worked for them 6 days a week during the day and then after I was done I went to my second job at a burger joint. The only day I had off was Monday!
- What is the most rewarding part of painting for you?
I really like to paint interesting and difficult jobs. I have been a painter on large projects such as Universal Studios and high rises. I like to do the “dangerous” work, and when we get those very difficult and dangerous jobs done safely it is very rewarding for me. Knowing that very few other painters can get jobs like these done both safe and with a quality finish is really cool.
- How do you deal with this summer heat and painting outside?
I don’t think about it and I keep going. I drink lots of water, probably 1 1/2 or 2 gallons a day to stay hydrated.
- Does working through monsoon season present any challenges?
For me, not really. I watch the weather and if it looks like a storm is coming we will cleanup and head out for the day. If its raining early in the day we will try to find some stuff to do like scraping patio ceilings or other areas that are protected from the rain.
- What is one tip you can give a Phoenix and Tucson homeowner who is about to get their home painted? I have two things: The first is to hire a company with experience and an estimator who doesn’t talk too much. If they are talking too much they are not listening to your concerns as a homeowner. Look for an honest company and estimator that doesn’t sell you stuff you don’t need to have done.
- What kind of house paint job is your favorite to do: Interior painting or exterior painting?
I prefer to do exterior house painting, even in the summer. I can move more freely on the outside and there isn’t furniture or wall hangings that we have to work around. It goes a little bit quicker.
- How do you feel about working for The Arizona Painting Company, and what do you believe the company offers its customers that other painting companies in Arizona can’t or simply won’t?
I like that we always make things right and do the right things. It doesn’t matter if its a customer or a painter, if there is any type of issue we always do the right thing. I also think its great with the production managers go and see each crew. We know they are there not to critique our work but only to keep up the standards and always give the best job to each customer.
We would like to thank Antonio not only for all his hard work but also for taking the time out of his day to let us into his life! If you are interested in getting a estimate to paint your home you can request a quote today. If you want us to schedule Antonio to be your foreman, just ask!